Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
"First thing though, if yours is a 2023. I'm pretty sure it came from the factory with an AGM battery."

Uh, no. It didn't come with an AGM battery.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Whenever I see battery posts I like to give my opinion about these "computers on wheels " we drive. First thing though, if yours is a 2023. I'm pretty sure it came from the factory with an AGM battery. My first AGM battery (Odyssey Extreme) lasted 7 years of daily driving. I finally killed it myself due to buying a Jeep and not driving the Silverado much. As far as I am concerned Odyssey Extreme is the best battery you can buy.
As for my 2023 BS Badlands, it's only 4 months old so it is bone stock and the owner's manual says it has an AGM installed. I believe them but should probably verify. I am also very meticulous about keeping "engine off" usage to a minimum. BEFORE I shut the engine off I disconnect my dash cam, turn off the AC, turn off the radio, and roll up all windows. I always disable the Auto Stop/Start feature. My thinking is anything that is running with the engine off is discharging the battery.
It probably didn't come with an AGM battery.

Beninchesapeake

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It probably didn't come with an AGM battery.
First of all, I know you are laughing thinking" I'll get him to go to his vehicle and check" . Laugh away because of course I did. And you are correct. hahaha My badlands apparently has an Enhanced Flooded Battery, not Advanced, but Enhanced. Although some BS do come with AGM batteries. Me being me I just learned this today but I'm glad I did. According to what I read Enhanced Flooded Batteries are manufactured to different standards than flooded cell batteries or Advanced Flooded Batteries.I also read an AGM battery can be used as an upgrade but the battery management system must be configured to allow it to function properly. Holt shit what a rabbit hole that was. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Ford Bronco Sport I'm thinking about changing the stock battery to a AGM type battery Battery

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all, I know you are laughing thinking" I'll get him to go to his vehicle and check" . Laugh away because of course I did. And you are correct. hahaha My badlands apparently has an Enhanced Flooded Battery, not Advanced, but Enhanced. Although some BS do come with AGM batteries. Me being me I just learned this today but I'm glad I did. According to what I read Enhanced Flooded Batteries are manufactured to different standards than flooded cell batteries or Advanced Flooded Batteries.I also read an AGM battery can be used as an upgrade but the battery management system must be configured to allow it to function properly. Holt shit what a rabbit hole that was. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Ford Bronco Sport I'm thinking about changing the stock battery to a AGM type battery Battery
I believe we all have that same battery.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
@rocks Bronco Sports shipped from the factory with one of these or other batteries:

Examples: (not a complete list)
BEF-48H6-A,
BEF-48H6,
BHEF-48H6
Lead-Acid
EFB: Enhanced Flooded Battery

BAGM-48H6-760 (AGM)
AGM: Absorbent Glass Mat

Those are just the part numbers. We all don’t know how many different battery manufacturers Ford used to-date for bronco sport batteries especially under supply chain constraints.

Last edited:

Canuck

Outer Banks
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
All these battery issues (especially in the 1.5L) have me thinking about going to an AGM battery before possible issues. No guarantee the issue won't happen with an AGM battery but it seems virtually no issues with the AGM. It's a terrible feeling knowing the issues the stock battery has in many cases here.
I'm taking a 1500 round mile trip at the end of the month and I would hate to possibly have an issue on the road. Anyone change to an AGM without having a battery issue?
I'll add that many decades of vehicle buying and this is the first time a possible breakdown is in the back of my mind.
If your battery fails within the new vehicle warranty period it will be replaced free of charge by your dealer

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your battery fails within the new vehicle warranty period it will be replaced free of charge by your dealer
Some are getting stuck on the road. The chances of a battery failure seem pretty low.

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rocks Bronco Sports shipped from the factory with one of these 3 batteries:

BHEF-48H6, BHEF-48H6-A (lead-acid)

BAGM-48H6-760 (AGM)

Those are just the part numbers. No idea how many different battery manufacturers Ford used to-date for bronco sport batteries.
I'd rather have what the BS came with initially...the AGM.;)

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
Thanks Dude!

I really like Costco and try to buy there whenever I can. Their return policy, extended warranty, U.S. based tech support, and prices can't be beat.

They generally sell good quality products, so there are probably no worries with their AGM batteries. Just out of curiosity, I wonder who makes them?

<Later> Here's one answer: https://vehiclefreak.com/who-makes-costco-kirkland-batteries/
Costco's batteries in the US are Interstate batteries, branded as such.

Be aware that they recently changed their warranty for the worse. What once was 3 years non-prorated with several years pro-rated after that, became 3 years non-prorated and nothing else. Now? it's 3 years prorated. So if it fails after 1.5 years? You only get 50% toward your next battery. You're out of pocket for the rest.

Costco Automotive Batteries are supported by a 36 Month Limited Prorated Warranty.
https://www.costco.com/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10301&identifier=automotive-batteries

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Costco's batteries in the US are Interstate batteries, branded as such.
Maybe varies by area because there are Kirkland branded batteries (possibly made by Clarios and others) and Interstate branded batteries at local Costco’s.

I do think the current AGM battery Costco sells for the bronco sport is Interstate but I don’t know that as a fact and it seems Costco has changed their battery suppliers over time.

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
@rocks Bronco Sports shipped from the factory with one of these 3 batteries:

BHEF-48H6, BHEF-48H6-A (lead-acid)

BAGM-48H6-760 (AGM)

Those are just the part numbers. We all don’t know how many different battery manufacturers Ford used to-date for bronco sport batteries especially under supply chain constraints.
I have BEF-48H6-A. No "H" in front of the "E".

Beninchesapeake

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'd rather have what the BS came with initially...the AGM.;)
After my extremely positive experience with the Odyssey Extreme battery I would tend to agree. But at least I got an EFB with mine so a slight upgrade from a standard flooded cell battery. I'll be selling mine before the warranty expires anyway so no biggie.And I always have my backup a red JNC77OR

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have BEF-48H6-A. No "H" in front of the "E".
I should have just said “Examples” as in the following since I have no idea how many battery part numbers Ford has used for the Bronco Sport:

Examples: (not a complete list)
BEF-48H6-A,
BEF-48H6,
BHEF-48H6
Lead-Acid

BAGM-48H6-760 (AGM)

And perhaps the variety of part numbers relates in some way to battery problems bronco sport owners has reported both with the EFB and maybe to a lesser extent the AGM battery. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Wombat

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What’s an AGM battery? How do I know if my car came with one?