2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Another option, and with Costco installation is DIY
Ford Bronco Sport I'm thinking about changing the stock battery to a AGM type battery 1694729421025
Thanks Dude!

I really like Costco and try to buy there whenever I can. Their return policy, extended warranty, U.S. based tech support, and prices can't be beat.

They generally sell good quality products, so there are probably no worries with their AGM batteries. Just out of curiosity, I wonder who makes them?

<Later> Here's one answer: https://vehiclefreak.com/who-makes-costco-kirkland-batteries/

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Thanks Dude!

I really like Costco and try to buy there whenever I can. Their return policy, extended warranty, U.S. based tech support, and prices can't be beat.

They generally sell good quality products, so there are probably no worries with their AGM batteries. Just out of curiosity, I wonder who makes them?

<Later> Here's one answer: https://vehiclefreak.com/who-makes-costco-kirkland-batteries/
The Costco AGM is probably the red top Optima battery and not the more powerful yellow top but good enough.
Clarios also makes the Motorcraft DPM battery.

Costco Kirkland Signature car batteries are currently made by Clarios. Prior to 2019, the production was handled by Johnson Controls.

Clarios
Clarios, a world leader in energy solutions, has a manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico that makes one thing and only one thing; Optima batteries. e

Motorcraft Battery Product Line Up
Since they’ve become an individual lineup off of Johnson Controls, Clarios has evolved into a greater entity and has an extensive product lineup. They produce a vast range of batteries with a rebranding of Clarios.

As a primary product lineup variation, they make all types of popular batteries including:

• AGM batteries
  • Flooded Lead acid batteries
  • Lithium-ion Batteries
  • Clarios XEV batteries
  • Smart AGM batteries

Last edited:

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rocks see my post about who makes Costco's AGM Batteries per the articles FAQ Section
I didn't see anything. I believe Clarios makes it.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I didn't see anything. I believe Clarios makes it.
I am not sure. See the FAQ Section of the article and I’ve also seen that Interstate makes Costco's AGM Batteries as well as other manufacturers supply Costco with AGM Batteries so not sure.

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good article. Seems Clarios makes the Diehard battery also. It's a No-Brainer to get the Costco AGM battery and save about a hundred bucks.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
2021 Badlands. 2-2021 build date. EFB battery for whatever reason.

Always have had issues with start/stop not working. I'm retired so it doesn't get driven every day.

Service advisor said drive it more, they won't replace it under warranty till it fails.

On my road trip to Yellowstone in June I drove over 500 miles in 1 day, which I would think would
fully charge the battery. Nope, S/S still didn't work.

It's not an issue really if it doesn't work. But it's hit and miss if it does.

I'll replace it with an AGM at some point.

All batteries live in a harsh environment in newer vehicles. They run hotter, and most batteries are not insulated in any way from heat & cold.

I had a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel and the AGM battery was mounted under the passenger seat. Had the vehicle for 5 years and never had to replace the battery.

My 2018 Escape Titanium went thru 3 AGM batteries, 2 Motorcraft AGM, the original was replaced under warranty, the replacement lasted only 15 months, and then I bought 1 from Costco that lasted until I sold it.

OP
OP
rocks

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never use the start/stop feature. I hate it. I'm going to take my 1500 mile roundtrip and wait a while before getting an AGM battery. I'm hoping the start/stop feature is causing the battery issues in most BSs that have the battery failing problem.
I only put 4k-5k miles per on the BS and when it sits, it is attached to a battery maintainer like it is right now. I will see how that goes.

KidWiff

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
2023 Heritage trim here. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Mine has the BHEF-48H6-A lead acid battery.

Note: the -A suffix that appears, versus some of the battery photos in this thread . Wonder what the difference is. Looking at the Motorcraft parts website, the -A version replaces the other stock number.

Perhaps improvements in construction and/or chemistry, to address prior issues?

Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage trim here. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Mine has the BHEF-48H6-A lead acid battery.

Note: the -A suffix that appears, versus some of the battery photos in this thread . Wonder what the difference is. Looking at the Motorcraft parts website, the -A version replaces the other stock number.

Interesting. Hope so as I have the "A" suffix also.

Ford Bronco Sport I'm thinking about changing the stock battery to a AGM type battery IMG_2124

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The OEM battery in your vehicle was supposed to be an AGM battery. I have a 21 OB and it was shipped with the AGM battery.

Ford had supply issues and could not get enough AGM batteries for the Bronco Sport and had to start using conventional lead acid batteries.
AGM is of course a newer (not "new") design, but is still a lead acid battery. My BL built December 2020 has the conventional 700A battery. I don't think I've ever replaced one without noticing degraded performance first, but replacement is normal to expect after a time. But, you can spend more on an AGM and less time and effort replacing them.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
BHEF-48H6-A lead acid battery.

Note: the -A suffix that appears. Looking at the Motorcraft parts website, the -A version replaces the other stock number.

Can also just be a different vendor for the battery. Ford doesn’t generally state what the change is when a part number is changed.

Beninchesapeake

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Whenever I see battery posts I like to give my opinion about these "computers on wheels " we drive. First thing though, if yours is a 2023. I'm pretty sure it came from the factory with an AGM battery. My first AGM battery (Odyssey Extreme) lasted 7 years of daily driving. I finally killed it myself due to buying a Jeep and not driving the Silverado much. As far as I am concerned Odyssey Extreme is the best battery you can buy.
As for my 2023 BS Badlands, it's only 4 months old so it is bone stock and the owner's manual says it has an AGM installed. I believe them but should probably verify. I am also very meticulous about keeping "engine off" usage to a minimum. BEFORE I shut the engine off I disconnect my dash cam, turn off the AC, turn off the radio, and roll up all windows. I always disable the Auto Stop/Start feature. My thinking is anything that is running with the engine off is discharging the battery.
Sponsored