Would you trade in the Sport for the Big Bronco? Why or why not??

westcoaster818

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
"In the case of gasoline engines, the lower density of air at higher altitude leads theoretically to a decrease of fuel consumption due to the lower negative loop of engine operation due to the decreased frictions due to the wider throttle opening."

Theoretically. Its probably minor, like I said.
It's not just the decrease in fuel burn, it's also decreased wind resistance due to the lower air density. It does make a difference. I drove my EcoBoost Mustang westbound (against the prevailing winds) across I80 in southern Wyoming at 90+ mph for almost an entire tankful of gas and saw better fuel economy than the previous legs of the trip driving at 75 mph across Missouri and Nebraska. Most of I80 in southern Wyoming is above 6000' elevation. Elevation in eastern Missouri starts around 500' and ranges up to around 3500' in western Nebraska. I averaged 27-29 mph at the slower speeds in MO and NE, and 34 mpg in WY. I kept a spreadsheet, so I'm not making shit up.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It's not just the decrease in fuel burn, it's also decreased wind resistance due to the lower air density. It does make a difference. I drove my EcoBoost Mustang westbound (against the prevailing winds) across I80 in southern Wyoming at 90+ mph for almost an entire tankful of gas and saw better fuel economy than the previous legs of the trip driving at 75 mph across Missouri and Nebraska. Most of I80 in southern Wyoming is above 6000' elevation. Elevation in eastern Missouri starts around 500' and ranges up to around 3500' in western Nebraska. I averaged 27-29 mph at the slower speeds in MO and NE, and 34 mpg in WY. I kept a spreadsheet, so I'm not making shit up.
I have found in my numerous travels driving out west at higher altitudes, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, etc. MPG is better under those conditions.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
But he said 28 mpg around town driving not on a trip.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
But he said 28 mpg around town driving not on a trip.
I understand, but "around town" means different things to different people. Stop & go traffic in LA rush hour traffic is not the same as "city" driving in ABQ. There are a lot of surface streets with speed limits set at 50 mph and up, and low temps average around 50 degrees in the winter. In my experience the two biggest factors affecting fuel economy with Ford's EcoBoost engines is altitude and temperature. Low altitudes & temps mean lower economy. That would make ABQ just about ideal conditions if you're looking to achieve the best fuel economy with a boxy Ford.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt; just saying "Hey, you're full of s**t" is not only rude, but it's intellectually lazy. Is 28 mpg in the city improbable? Yeah, I would say that. But given the location, not improbable enough to be impossible.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Considering I can get close to 20mpg on my 2 door driving in town (not in the city) when driving at reasonable speeds and accelerations, I could believe you could get mid to maybe upper mid 20’s with the Badlands especially at higher altitudes. My Badlands is my daily driver and it’s normally not driven with a soft foot and I’m getting 23-24. Only time I see 28 is on the highway.

I will say, my gas milage has always improved in the mountains despite normally seeming to be stepping on it more than normal.

Ford Bronco Sport Would you trade in the Sport for the Big Bronco? Why or why not?? IMG_3524
Sponsored

Last edited: