DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf Sportwagen, 2023 BS Badlands
Once we bought a Bronco Sport, it made a trip out to Toroweap even more attainable. I had been wanting to go since 2007 when I had visited the Southwest for the first time. After a year of ownership, it was time to make the trip. Everywhere you read about the road, it is described as extremely hazardous and not casual drivers. I read as many trip reports and watched any video to be as prepared as possible. I left from Phoenix with a college buddy who flew in that morning around 10am. We stopped in Flagstaff for some gas and snacks before quickly getting back on the road. We took a quick break at the Historic Navajo Bridge and made our way to Fredonia and boy was I glad we filled up the thank at Flag. The gas station was closed, and we learned from a few others that the entire region was without power. I had hoped to top off, get more ice and cold drinks but was out of luck. A young group of guys pulled up in a truck and one told us people drive terrible out there and probably ran over a power line.

With about half a tank we decided it was enough for a round trip to the campground as I put it in Eco mode. A few miles west of Fredonia and we hopped on the dirt road to Tuweep. It was a little washboard to start out and my friend asked how long are we on this road? He did not look amused when I said 60 miles. Fortunately for him the road smoothed out and I was able to go 45mph for a good chunk of time. A few dips and rock patches after about 30 miles and I slowed down to 35mph, and then 25mph before finally reaching the Tuweep Ranger Station. Ranger Todd came out to greet us and after inspecting our permits, told us staying a few days is the way to do it. We headed out and from the station to the campground was mostly 10mph. There were a few drops, but nothing resulted in bottoming out. The Badlands was more than capable of handling the road. There was only one drop on a bend that required a few seconds of thought to approach.

Reaching the campground, we decided to go straight into camp 3 as it afford a spectacular view. If you were to drive around the campground there were a few more drops. The bigger trucks seemed to have issues that I think the Bronco Sport would have not had issues with due to its short wheelbase. From the campground we walked to the rim. It was about 8.5hr. trip with the last 2.5hr on the dirt road so we were both in need of exercise. If you were to consider a day trip, the road from the campground to the overlook has a few more drops. Honestly, it was easier to walk it than to drive given how slow youā€™d have to go.

The next day we hiked in the morning, rested midday, hiked in the afternoon. In the evening I went to the rim and stayed late for some astrophotography. We logged 20miles hiking. When we woke the next morning, we could already feel it was going to be a hotter day. Following the same schedule but different trails, we logged in 16 miles of hiking and spending another sunset at the rim. Then the next morning we packed up and headed back.

When I first started out, I was in normal mode going up some rocks. I decided to back out and then put it in rock mode and easily made it over all the ledges we dropped down on the way in. Once we reached the ranger stations, I put it into eco mode and we trailblazed our way back to pavement. We did cross paths with 2 does and 3 fawn pronghorns as they easily ran faster than we were driving. We had no more dirt roads as we visited Wahweap Bay, Horseshoe Bend and then got stranded on I17 has a semiā€™s brakes caught fire and then his refrigerated haul went up in smoke.

All in all, it was a great trip. One I was glad to have the Badlands and would gladly return. I may visit some other sights and trials in that region for a week-long trip given the time it takes to get there. We saw about 10 or so people in the 3 days we were there.

Ford Bronco Sport Trip Report: Toroweap Overlook, Arizona IMG_5903

Ford Bronco Sport Trip Report: Toroweap Overlook, Arizona IMG_5962
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Your pics are awesome!!

Nice description too .. that will help anyone that sees your post and makes the same trip

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your pics are awesome!!

Nice description too .. that will help anyone that sees your post and makes the same trip
Thanks!
I wanted to give a good description of trip as there are so many warnings online. Part of me gets it, they donā€™t want rental cars going there. I would especially avoid driving that road right after rain as it can be quite heavy. If a person is not comfortable or experienced driving dirt roads I can understand them getting into trouble. But a Bronco Sport was more than competent at making the trip.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Wow. What a great report. Today (18 June 2024) in Seattle, it is kinda June-uary. Seeing your pics makes me so happy. I'd love to take my BL down there on that trip! Exactly what the BL was made for. Thank you for sharing this!

Robink

Big Bend
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
Thanks!
I wanted to give a good description of trip as there are so many warnings online. Part of me gets it, they donā€™t want rental cars going there. I would especially avoid driving that road right after rain as it can be quite heavy. If a person is not comfortable or experienced driving dirt roads I can understand them getting into trouble. But a Bronco Sport was more than competent at making the trip.
I live in St George and I have been there many, many times. The road is notorious for flat tires. I did get a flat out there once with my Exterra. The rock area after the entry station can change drastically. If it gets really washed out a Bronco Sport might not make it. Or some of the other spots in the campground. So many tourists go out there that the warnings are very valid. That's a long wide open stretch when it's 110 degrees out there to get stranded or lost. So glad your Bronco did great and great hiking mileage!!!! šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ¤— šŸ¤—

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Great write-up and excellent photos!

Does 117 have steep grades? Asking because of the semi's brakes catching fire.

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great write-up and excellent photos!

Does 117 have steep grades? Asking because of the semi's brakes catching fire.
Interstate 17 does have some steep grades. In fact the truck was just passed a runaway truck gravel exit. Some other truckers said he was riding his brakes too much. When heading south you are doing a net decrease in elevation. . If the fire had happened just a few hundred feet further we could have taken an exit and kept on moving.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Interstate 17 does have some steep grades. In fact the truck was just passed a runaway truck gravel exit. Some other truckers said he was riding his brakes too much. When heading south you are doing a net decrease in elevation. . If the fire had happened just a few hundred feet further we could have taken an exit and kept on moving.
My mistake, I misread I17 as 117.

You mention other drivers saying he was riding his brakes -- do you have a CB? I still have one in our RV but it is not as useful as it used to be.

Yeah, semis have Jake brakes for a reason...

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Wow been way too long since Iā€™ve been that far south. Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
DesertRat19

DesertRat19

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My mistake, I misread I17 as 117.

You mention other drivers saying he was riding his brakes -- do you have a CB? I still have one in our RV but it is not as useful as it used to be.

Yeah, semis have Jake brakes for a reason...
No I donā€™t have a CB. Once we stopped I turned off my bronco and got out. Other truckers got out and my friend and I chatted with them.
Sponsored