Brand new Bronco Sport would not start

broncosp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
Hi All.
First time poster here, enjoying the informative forums. I wanted to post an issue I recently had in hopes someone may have some insight. So yesterday I drove my 2024 Bronco Sport BB (with only 600km on it), to the local store, came back 5 mins later and it would not start. The brake was locked, and pushing the ignition button turned on the instrument panel, but did not start the engine. The dashboard display was going through all sorts of diagnostic warnings and every light was light up. The parking gear light was flashing orange. I could freely turn the steering wheel, it was not locked. I got out of the vehicle, tried to lock it, although it made the locking sound, it would not lock. I tried to start it about 8 times. I waited about 20 mins, tried again and it worked. Brake was not locked and push ignition worked. I have an appointment for service at dealer. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Check all the connections under the hood and to battery.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Hi All.
First time poster here, enjoying the informative forums. I wanted to post an issue I recently had in hopes someone may have some insight. So yesterday I drove my 2024 Bronco Sport BB (with only 600km on it), to the local store, came back 5 mins later and it would not start. The brake was locked, and pushing the ignition button turned on the instrument panel, but did not start the engine. The dashboard display was going through all sorts of diagnostic warnings and every light was light up. The parking gear light was flashing orange. I could freely turn the steering wheel, it was not locked. I got out of the vehicle, tried to lock it, although it made the locking sound, it would not lock. I tried to start it about 8 times. I waited about 20 mins, tried again and it worked. Brake was not locked and push ignition worked. I have an appointment for service at dealer. Any thoughts? Thanks!
A low battery can cause all kinds of weird problems and effects.
A new recall, 24S24, may be related. It reprograms the Body Control Module and Power Control Module to avoid a low battery condition.
Make an appointment with your dealer for this recall. It takes about 30 minutes to do the reprogramming downloads. Some dealers with mobile services can apply the recall at your home or place of work. Have them check the battery condition also.
This may fix your problem at no cost.
In the meantime, put your battery on a battery maintainer or charger.

OP
OP

broncosp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
A low battery can cause all kinds of weird problems and effects.
A new recall, 24S24, may be related. It reprograms the Body Control Module and Power Control Module to avoid a low battery condition.
Make an appointment with your dealer for this recall. It takes about 30 minutes to do the reprogramming downloads. Some dealers with mobile services can apply the recall at your home or place of work. Have them check the battery condition also.
This may fix your problem at no cost.
In the meantime, put your battery on a battery maintainer or charger.
Thanks For the suggestions folks. I do have a service appointment scheduled. I'm sure there would be no cost as I drove it off the lot brand new about a month ago. Strange if it would sense low battery but all accessories, including headlights were on, but I couldn't turn them off. Ya thinking PCM / software issue here

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Thanks For the suggestions folks. I do have a service appointment scheduled. I'm sure there would be no cost as I drove it off the lot brand new about a month ago. Strange if it would sense low battery but all accessories, including headlights were on, but I couldn't turn them off. Ya thinking PCM / software issue here
Do you know the date your vehicle was manufactured? Last time I checked recall 24S24 applied to all Bronco Sports built on or before March 13 2024 but don’t quote me on that.

OP
OP

broncosp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
Do you know the date your vehicle was manufactured? Last time I checked recall 24S24 applied to all Bronco Sports built on or before March 13 2024 but don’t quote me on that.
Hey Dude. Interesting.. manufact date on the sticker says 03/24

ChuckG

Outer Banks
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Had the same issue back in April. Every error message flashed and Shift knob was flashing in P. Ended up disconnecting the battery. The battery is on a tender till I get back to Arizona. I will say that I called AutoNation Ford Service in Scottsdale and they never returned any of my calls. Time to find a new dealer. I did not buy my car in Arizona - but would expect service from a Ford dealer. Hoping the recall fits this problem. Seems to be a common issue.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Have you had that service appointment yet? If so what was the fix?

OP
OP

broncosp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
Had the same issue back in April. Every error message flashed and Shift knob was flashing in P. Ended up disconnecting the battery. The battery is on a tender till I get back to Arizona. I will say that I called AutoNation Ford Service in Scottsdale and they never returned any of my calls. Time to find a new dealer. I did not buy my car in Arizona - but would expect service from a Ford dealer. Hoping the recall fits this problem. Seems to be a common issue.
Yep exact same symptoms. The dealer up here in Canada told me there are not recalls for this vehicle. (at least up here) Thanks

OP
OP

broncosp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
Have you had that service appointment yet? If so what was the fix?
No not yet. appointment was scheduled for today but I have to reschedule. I'll update here when I get it back from dealer.

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
I would likely disconnect the battery, run a battery test, and then do a recharge of the battery (as Rushman suggested) just to eliminate that. When the battery was reconnected, then do a OBDII scan on the car.

OP
OP

broncosp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
I would likely disconnect the battery, run a battery test, and then do a recharge of the battery (as Rushman suggested) just to eliminate that. When the battery was reconnected, then do a OBDII scan on the car.
Yes good points. I don't have an OBDII scanner, but I have looked into it after having this issue. Seems like a handy tool to have. I'm just gonna bring it to the dealer for now and let them do the work. Thanks for the suggestions

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Subscribed. Please keep us informed as to what was told to you as the fault and repair.

OP
OP

broncosp

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
Yep exact same symptoms. The dealer up here in Canada told me there are not recalls for this vehicle. (at least up here) Thanks
What's this battery tender thing..A charger than connects to the battery? Should I get one of these?

Reactions: ZQ8

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
What's this battery tender thing..A charger than connects to the battery? Should I get one of these?
Yes, they are typically a low current battery charger type device that one connects to the battery. The connection can be temporary via alligator clips or more permanent via bolted wires. Both connector types are usually included with the battery tender/maintainer.
You can find them in the auto parts section of many department stores, and of course, auto parts stores.
If you don't drive much, either short trips, or if your car sits un-driven for days at a time, you might want to get one of these.
Sponsored