Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I heard a clunk sound at the very beginning, but nothing else. These vehicles use a clutch-based power transfer unit to get power to the rear wheels. I've heard some describe as crunching/grinding/clunking noises as the clutch in the PTU engages and disengages. It appears you are driving on a slippery road, so that may be what you're hearing. If that's the case it's normal.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
yeah i dunno. vid doesnt really help much.
did you contact your dealer?
what mode are you in for that snow?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I hope when you tried sand mode you were actually on a soft surface like sand or snow. Sand mode locks the 4wd system and if you were driving on high traction hard pack or on asphalt you may have damaged the 4wd system. Good luck, hope its something simple.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I learned how to NOT damage mine from the owners manual. Was told when I asked to only use sand mode in sand. AND,,,,
Mine made some crazy noises off and on until I got some miles on it.
Things went silent over all at about 5,000 miles,,,

MJbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BB
I learned how to NOT damage mine from the owners manual. Was told when I asked to only use sand mode in sand. AND,,,,
Mine made some crazy noises off and on until I got some miles on it.
Things went silent over all at about 5,000 miles,,,
Yeah I agree with this, there's a break in period in which you're not supposed to over do it

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
If putting in wrong mode would break it we will be filled with threads of breakage. I doubt these things are that fragile.

No one wants to hear any bad noises on brand new vehicle. If dealer can't figure out find better dealer or drive it till noise gets louder. Or maybe things work in and noise goes away.

Mine also had this bolts rattling around in metal bucket at idle noise like muffler internal baffle loose or something it sounded really bad. But that noise went away too. Now mine not making any noises at all.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I hear it almost like an exhaust noise. I'm not saying it's normal but I just think cars make noises. Mine has a grunting sound when I'm driving very slow and in a parking lot. I heard it's from a brake release cable or something so I'm not concern as long as it's not anything major. I've learned from reading these forums that dealers won't do a thing unless Ford posts something about a problem and a fix. I plan on trading in for a Toyota 4Runner at the end of the year so I just don't care about long term of the vehicle.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
With this vehicle it seems best to let the system figure what it should do and then when you find conditions that need more control switch to the appropriate GOAT mode, you'll be surprised what it can do.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I’m glad mine never had any problems like what seems to happen in maybe 1 % of those sold.
I still say that’s really good considering this is a new model.
I also seem to be lucky that my dealer takes a ride with the owner when they come in with an odd not very easy to recreate problem.
A dealer wrench took a ride with me In my 2004 escape to ID a strange noise they couldn’t reproduce. I got it to do it. They fixed it.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Okay thanks for your input. I didn’t drive in it for more than a few blocks on pavement, the dealer never mentioned a thing about it, and no warning lights appeared. It’s an easy mistake given the symbols are small and it’s right next to slippery mode. Thanks for your message!
It's not like there are gears for each mode......it's just electronics controlling things differently.
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/more-vehicle-topics/engine-and-transmission/ford-bronco-terrain-management-system/
Manual does say it will shake on hard surfaces, wear tires and vehicle faster...anyways it should be ok, but don't do it again.
I'm starting to think noise is relative to the ambient temperature and people's perspective.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

Crunching, scraping, fluttering — and no bulletin for 2022s to fix it. What a nightmare purchase…
Hi there. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info for the noise concerns regarding your 2022 Bronco sport? I can look into things on my end.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I hear it almost like an exhaust noise. I'm not saying it's normal but I just think cars make noises. Mine has a grunting sound when I'm driving very slow and in a parking lot. I heard it's from a brake release cable or something so I'm not concern as long as it's not anything major. I've learned from reading these forums that dealers won't do a thing unless Ford posts something about a problem and a fix. I plan on trading in for a Toyota 4Runner at the end of the year so I just don't care about long term of the vehicle.
Hi there! Send a private message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Warning to others: do not buy this car.
With resale on these cars so high, right now seems like a good time to get something else. It seems doubtful you are ever going to be happy with a Ford Bronco Sport, whether this problem is fixed to your satisfaction or not. Life's too short to live with this kind of frustration.
Sponsored