Aviator

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
I took my BS BL to the Ford dealership today for an oil change. At the dealership they have several large windows you can watch the work being done.
Today I had a front row seat This is what I observed.
1. While removing the skid plate the mechanic dropped it and let it fall to the ground, then just left it there kicking it around while he worked on the oil change.
2. During the oil change. The mechanic placed the oil basin with telescope lift under the vehicle to catch the oil. While the oil was draining he lowered the vehicle onto the drain basin collapsing it. When he noticed this he quickly lifted the vehicle and realigned the basin and lifted it to continue capturing the oil.
He did the same thing again walked around to the driver’s door to read the door jam label. When he noticed he didn’t again he lifted the vehicle again and again readjusted the oil basin.
3. When he was rotating the tires he went front to back, back to front. And boy oh boy, he loved his red impact wrench.
4. I thought maybe this is my last trip to the dealership for services.
5. Upon check out I asked if they took care of the update battery management system recall. Nope, so why take your ford to ford?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Find a competent local shop. Dealerships can afford to let shoddy workmanship slide because many people think you have to take your Ford to a Ford dealership for service. Local shops rely on word-of-mouth for their reputations.

Flyct

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Bronco Sport
I took my BS BL to the Ford dealership today for an oil change. At the dealership they have several large windows you can watch the work being done.
Today I had a front row seat This is what I observed.
1. While removing the skid plate the mechanic dropped it and let it fall to the ground, then just left it there kicking it around while he worked on the oil change.
2. During the oil change. The mechanic placed the oil basin with telescope lift under the vehicle to catch the oil. While the oil was draining he lowered the vehicle onto the drain basin collapsing it. When he noticed this he quickly lifted the vehicle and realigned the basin and lifted it to continue capturing the oil.
He did the same thing again walked around to the driver’s door to read the door jam label. When he noticed he didn’t again he lifted the vehicle again and again readjusted the oil basin.
3. When he was rotating the tires he went front to back, back to front. And boy oh boy, he loved his red impact wrench.
4. I thought maybe this is my last trip to the dealership for services.
5. Upon check out I asked if they took care of the update battery management system recall. Nope, so why take your ford to ford?
You should send this write up to the dealership service director.

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Service techs come and go. Sounds like he was high on something. I pay $44 a hour for a DYI lift and do all my own now. Even paying for the lift it is cheaper and everything is done how I like done. Makes me mad to hear about your expierience. Hope you find a quality shop the next time.

Dadio

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Sounds like a dealer-specific problem. Ford should enforce consistent service quality between dealers, but I noticed a similar thing. Last year my son had an oil change and tire rotation done at a dealer and they forgot to change the oil ! We no longer do business there.

I had service done yesterday and my current dealer service department Fraser Ford is stellar and professional.

Bluejaye

Heritage
First Name
Jaye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage Limited
When I took mine in for it's first oil change, the tech. used a hammer and was pounding on the skid plate when they put it back on. I scratched my head and wondered about that, but figured they knew what they were doing.

I went in yesterday for my Sport's second oil change and they couldn't get the skid plate off, they said the mounting bolt had gotten pressed into the frame (Gee, I wonder how). Now I have to deal with that.

Fun stuff!

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
Using an impact wrench is not necessarily bad but requires an impact wrench with adjustible torque or use of torque sticks to keep from damaging anything. I use mine for lug nuts at the low settings and that gives me about 77 lbs of torque; then I finish up with the torque wrench.

OP
OP
Aviator

Aviator

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
When I took mine in for it's first oil change, the tech. used a hammer and was pounding on the skid plate when they put it back on. I scratched my head and wondered about that, but figured they knew what they were doing.

I went in yesterday for my Sport's second oil change and they couldn't get the skid plate off, they said the mounting bolt had gotten pressed into the frame (Gee, I wonder how). Now I have to deal with that.

Fun stuff!
Sorry to hear that. I feel like when you take your vehicle to the company you purchased it from. It should be handled by elite trained professionals.

Ozzy

Badlands
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco sport
One of the problems in Ontario is the lacking of auto techs. Everyone is short techs. Reaso be consuckers cut shop in schools and trashed apprenship program over the years. Now now it’s an underpaid trade ,plmbers$90 hr electricians $70. Sheet metal $85, carpenters,$65
Auto techs $40. Plus thousands of money for tools. Iam a t retired Tech 2 back surgeries and knee replacement. Who wants to do this trade for 40 or hr. If you find a place that does good work stick with them

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
80K a year to change oil and rotate tires? In any reality that is great money for the work. I live in south Florida, top 5 highest cost of living areas in the states, techs are getting much less than that and that is why the quality of workmanship is less than what you expect. Seems Ontario is the place to start a automotive career. Certified mechanics there must be making twice that.

R W NORRIS New Mexico

Big Bend
First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
My Ford Dealer raised the hoist without adjusting the arms. Yes, it "crushed" the Carbon Emmissions Canister, so they charged me $875 to replace it. Told me I must have done it when Off Roading, which I never have. So when I crawled under the car, you could see the "impression" of the Hoist puncture. I called the owner, he ordered a refund. Oh yes, the Service Manager then barred me from the dealership stating "he could refuse service to anyone". Told me he did not need the "Drama". Now it is a 3.5 hour drive to a Ford Dealer. I guess they showed me. Welcome to New Mexico. By the way I am 73 and handicapped, the SM told me he didn't need to service a "disabled person's vehicle". Vision Ford in Alamogordo New Mexico is really.... By the way, never owned anything but Fords for all my driving life. If I out live my BS, watch me buy an import.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
My Ford Dealer raised the hoist without adjusting the arms. Yes, it "crushed" the Carbon Emmissions Canister, so they charged me $875 to replace it. Told me I must have done it when Off Roading, which I never have. So when I crawled under the car, you could see the "impression" of the Hoist puncture. I called the owner, he ordered a refund. Oh yes, the Service Manager then barred me from the dealership stating "he could refuse service to anyone". Told me he did not need the "Drama". Now it is a 3.5 hour drive to a Ford Dealer. I guess they showed me. Welcome to New Mexico. By the way I am 73 and handicapped, the SM told me he didn't need to service a "disabled person's vehicle". Vision Ford in Alamogordo New Mexico is really.... By the way, never owned anything but Fords for all my driving life. If I out live my BS, watch me buy an import.
That has to be one of the worst dealership service stories I've heard!

Since the owner gave you a refund, he might be interested to learn that the service manager barred you from the service dept. Hopefully, at the very least, he would instruct the service manager to work on your vehicle -- and ideally, he would fire that service manager.

That is inexcusable treatment. They screwed up, blamed you, charged you, then you got a refund from the owner, so the service manager threw a tantrum and barred you!

Wow!

Ford needs to know about your experience.

In addition, there may be NM and/or federal laws that state the service dept. cannot discriminate against disabled people.

PS: My wife and I really like NM, so the fact that this happened there makes it even worse.

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
Had this same thing happen to me when I got my Escape serviced years ago. FIrst, they didn't do it at all, and when I pointed it out, took them 10 minutes of arguing, another 10 minutes to measure the tread depth, then a half hearted apology that they were wrong and forgot to do it.

Then, they wanted to rotate them the wrong way (like you just described). I literally had to bang on the window to get their attention and show the diagram from the owners manual on how to rotate tires.

[...]Now it is a 3.5 hour drive to a Ford Dealer. I guess they showed me. Welcome to New Mexico. By the way I am 73 and handicapped, the SM told me he didn't need to service a "disabled person's vehicle". Vision Ford in Alamogordo New Mexico is really.... By the way, never owned anything but Fords for all my driving life. If I out live my BS, watch me buy an import.
If you're in Alamogordo, it's only 1-1.5 hours to the 3 dealers in El Paso. Not saying you'll have a better experience there, but at least it's a shorter drive!

R W NORRIS New Mexico

Big Bend
First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Timberon, New Mexico. About 1hr and 15 from Alamo. Vision is who messed with me. Going to go to Casa or Shamaley in El Paso for recalls, but I do my own right now. Thanks.

R W NORRIS New Mexico

Big Bend
First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Love New Mexico. I live in the mountains at 8000 feet with all the Bear, Deer, Elk and Mt Lion along with snow in the winter. Can't beat it. Lived here for 28 years and this is the only bad experience I have had. You know, bought 4 explorers, 2 escapes and an Aerostar since moving here and recommended to many, but now I can't get a phone call from the owner of the Dealership who lives in California. Oh well. Thanks for your comment. Rodger
Sponsored